About Old Stoney Village
In the 18th century, long before Hilton Head became an internationally famous resort destination, Beaufort County was booming due to the ship building industry. The prevalence of deep water creeks, live oaks and long leaf pine trees on Hilton Head Island created the perfect environment for one of the largest industries in the 13 colonies. As early as 1740 merchants and traders commissioned ships to be made out of "Sea Island Oaks" that were said to weather and endure even the most treacherous of seas. Even the famous USS Constitution earned her nick name "Old Ironsides" because of the live oaks ability to ward off cannon fire "as if it's hull was made of iron". With the establishment of a new nation in 1776, the need for an international merchant fleet and Navy caused shipbuilding activity to flourish in the low country.
The creation of small towns and villages became an essential part of providing skilled labor for ship building. During the colonial period, 200 workers comprised of carpenters, joiners, sail makers, borers, coppers, caulkers, painters and blacksmiths, would work together to construct a 15 ton ship. This booming industry created villages where skilled workers, traders, merchants and their families lived together in a diverse and close knit community. Today's Old Stoney Village strives to bring the history, cultural heritage, and charm of these by-gone eras to life once again.
In 1774 one merchant John "Captain Jack" Stoney sailed to Hilton Head from Ireland in his own merchant vessel, The Saucy Jack. After amassing a sizable fortune in the Revolutionary War, the Stoney family became the largest land owners on Hilton Head.
By the late 1860's ten Gullah villages had been established on Hilton Head. These villages arose from the freed decedents of west African slaves who worked the plantations. The village near Skull Creek was named "Stoney" and is still recognized today as a historic Gullah community.
Old Stoney Village lies in the heart of this same area between Skull Creek and Jarvis Creek. Its name perpetuates the heritage of Hilton Head's historical past.
In keeping with the storied historical past of ship building, tree harvesting, Gullah villages and the supportive communities they fostered, Old Stoney Village will re-invent the image and feeling of this close knit ship building "village" for future generations to acknowledge and enjoy.
Conveniently located on the north end of Hilton Head near the Cross Island Parkway, Old Stoney Village is less than 10 mins away from Bluffton or almost any area of Hilton Head.
Walking distance to parks and water access. The Rowing and Sailing Center Community Park & Greens Shell Park
1.5 miles to restaurants The Crazy Crab, Skull Creek Boathouse & Dry Stack Marina, Hudsons, & Dockside restaurants
2 miles to grocery stores & schools The Festival Center: Walmart, Publix , Walgreens & more, HHI high, middle & elementary schools
2.3 miles to public boat landing & wildlife refuge CC Haig Jr. Boat Landing & Pinckney Island
2.5 Miles to Country Club of Hilton Head Golf, tennis, fitness center, indoor & outdoor pools
2 Miles to South Carolina Yacht Club
3.5 miles to hospital Hilton Head Regional Hospital
The homes at Old Stoney Village strive to offer desirable modern conveniences with a nautical craftsman style architecture and charm of a historic shipbuilding village.
Hardwood Floors Granite countertops
Open Concept Vaulted Ceilings
Stainless appliances Private Garage